CARSOUND.COM Forum
Old 04-17-2002, 11:12 AM   #1
datspeed77

I recently installed a 500/1 JL Audio Mono Amp in a 2000 IS 300. The customer is using the
factory head unit, so I used the amps auto sensing capabilities. The auto sensing feature allows
you to get turn on remote through the input signal from the amp, the remote wire does not have to
be hooked up. Everything sounds good, until I shut the car off. The amp stays on for about 30 seconds
which is normal, but while the car is off you can hear a low frequency sweep go through the entire
car. The wierdest part of this problem is that it goes away if you open the trunk. I figured out
that the left input of the amp was making the sound. Do you guys have any clue what this can
be? Keep in mind that the low frequency goes away after I open the trunk.
Old 04-17-2002, 11:40 PM   #2
JBONDOx

another pi$$ poor jl amp????

by the way where did you get the signal from, because there is 2 pairs of wires for each rear speaker. one high passed the other low-passed.

[ April 17, 2002, 10:43 PM: Message edited by: JBONDOx ]

JBONDOx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2002, 12:01 AM   #3
Jason Ewing

just to add to this-----when i pulled the is radio, the audio that runs from the radio to the amp in the glovebox, doesnt change---it only changes after the amplifier---meaning the audio was a constant level from the radio to the amp---and yes the rears are a true 2 way----1 set for highs-i set for lows----try explaining that one to an 17 yr old whose daddy bought it for him, and he wanted new 6x9's----lol
Montreal, Qc, H4P 2G1
www.idatalink.com
support@adsdata.ca

1.866.427.2999 x2
Jason Ewing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2002, 08:53 PM   #4
JD

I haven't figured out the exact cause, but I've seen this on three other cars where an amp (not JL - they were various types) produced an obnoxious low frequency noise undere the same conditions. I can sort of guess that the stock radio is producing noise on its outputs after you power it down that you wouldn't ordinarily hear if the amp shut off at the ame time the radio did, but the trunk open/close thing I just don't get.

At any rate, the 100% effective cure is to use an adapter like our Remote Power Adapter to create a remote on/off signal from one of the stock speaker wires - that way the amp shuts off at the same time as the radio, and no more annoying noise.

JD

Quote:
Originally posted by datspeed77:
I recently installed a 500/1 JL Audio Mono Amp in a 2000 IS 300. The customer is using the
factory head unit, so I used the amps auto sensing capabilities. The auto sensing feature allows
you to get turn on remote through the input signal from the amp, the remote wire does not have to
be hooked up. Everything sounds good, until I shut the car off. The amp stays on for about 30 seconds
which is normal, but while the car is off you can hear a low frequency sweep go through the entire
car. The wierdest part of this problem is that it goes away if you open the trunk. I figured out
that the left input of the amp was making the sound. Do you guys have any clue what this can
be? Keep in mind that the low frequency goes away after I open the trunk.
Old 04-19-2002, 11:44 PM   #5
GURU418

why not just run a turn on from switched and loose the auto turn on junk... i've never had it work well (mtx especially).

i think this would solve the problem.

GURU
Old 04-20-2002, 01:00 AM   #6
supremeruleroftheearth

loose the sotck unit.
Old 04-20-2002, 01:16 AM   #7
BigVinny

Whenever you shut the key off, the motorized trunk automatically opens until a 30 second timer tells it to close. [img]graemlins/idea.gif[/img]
BigVinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2002, 02:49 PM   #8
JD

Aside from it being a little cheaper and easier to do with parts laying around, why ignore a guaranteed fix that works the way the user would prefer, in favor of a manual, "kludged" solution? I mean the adapter, not the "auto turn-on" ... I never cared for them much either, although in this case it's not that circuit that's at fault.

JD

Quote:
Originally posted by GURU418:
why not just run a turn on from switched and loose the auto turn on junk... i've never had it work well (mtx especially).

i think this would solve the problem.

GURU
Old 04-23-2002, 12:34 AM   #9
GURU418

I'm not saying the "auto turn on" in the amp is always an issue...but that using it often creates headaches. The only "problem" i've ever had from using a standard turn on wire is the classic "turn off factory deck = massive bass tone". Sometimes technologies should stay in the brains of the creator since they cause more havoc than they help out.

Oh well... i'm just a lowly installer... not someone that can change the manufactures minds.

GURU
Old 04-25-2002, 02:35 PM   #10
JD

I don't get it ... we created the adapter (and others have something similar) specifically so adding amps to HU without a remote out WOULD work, unlike this situation. As an installer myself (for 17 years) I figured that would be a more acceptable solution than having to wire a toggle switch, tap inside the radio for a remote out, or play with transistors. I don't understand how any of that is related to also using high level inputs. Am I missing something?

JD