CARSOUND.COM Forum
Old 11-07-2001, 12:01 PM   #1
DannyC1005

I've seen 2 of these trucks lately and has anyone found where the factory amp is. I ran a 4 ch amp with all four of the outputs ran to behind the radio, and got no sound at all, until I hooked the amp turn on from behind the factory deck. So it has to have an amp somewhere. Its not like the older Dodge that has the 1ch amp on each speaker, the speakers just have 2 wires on them. Any help would be great.
By the way these have single wire door locks, a white/green wire. I found a 800 ohm restistor for the lock and a 330 ohm for unlock works. Also the OEM disarm uses a 470 ohm on a green/orange wire.
DannyC1005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2001, 09:30 PM   #2
robmar

infinty one on each front door speaker

[This message has been edited by pinhead (edited November 07, 2001).]
robmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2001, 12:03 AM   #3
cckrocks

To elaborate on the last post..... There is an amp in each front door, attached to the speaker. There are several wires running to this amp. One set of wires is basically a pass through and runs the tweeters in the pillars. Then there are the inputs from the factory radio, both front and rear run into the door. The 6x9's in the door are run directly from the amp, and the rear speakers have wires running to them from the amp. So basically all the speakers in the vehicle are amplified by the amp in the door except the tweeters. Replacing the speakers does require either a 4 channel aftermarket amp and some rewiring in the doors, or it requires you to disassemble the setup in the door to retain the factory amp. I have done it both ways. Hope that wasn't too confusing, but it really is confusing when you start pulling it apart!
cckrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2001, 02:18 AM   #4
Chris Luongo

I've also heard the exact same thing ccrocks said. Sounds a lot like the Aktiv system in the older Volkswagens. A lot of fun.
Chris Luongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2001, 04:44 PM   #5
DannyC1005

The 2001 is like that with about 10 or 12 wires going into the speaker. Earlier models had 4 wires. This 2002 model has only 2 wires and you can see the bare magnet on the speaker. There is no amp on the speaker. The tweeter is in the dash, and no longer on the pillar. This truck is totally different.
DannyC1005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2001, 08:14 PM   #6
Murph
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by DannyC1005:
The 2001 is like that with about 10 or 12 wires going into the speaker. Earlier models had 4 wires. This 2002 model has only 2 wires and you can see the bare magnet on the speaker. There is no amp on the speaker. The tweeter is in the dash, and no longer on the pillar. This truck is totally different.
You are right the 2002 is a totally new animal. I have done four so far. Unfortunately none were amplified. My guess would be to check in the right front kick panel. That's were it it in the Dakota's. I know this wasn't much help but good luck.

------------------
Your only as good as your worst install.
Murph is offline   Reply With Quote