CARSOUND.COM Forum

Go Back   CARSOUND.COM Forum > Archived Forums > Richard Clark on Audio
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-14-2003, 04:01 AM   #1
internecine

this may be dumb, but then again i may be dumb as well.

I have a 4 channel amp and would like to try to hook up my component set one speaker to each channel. The amp has 2 high and low pass filters, one for every 2 channels. Would setting the filters be doing the same thing as the crossovers?

The reason i am thinking about doing this is the tweeters are sounding like ***, like they are distorting at higher volume levels. The amp puts out 80 watts per channel and the speakers are rated at 90rms (as a set). Seperately the woofers are 90rms and the tweeters are 150rms. So my thinking is that this set is being under powered (the tweeters more so than the woofers)?

If this sounds stupid as hell, tell me wat else i should try.

Thanks

Old 04-14-2003, 09:52 AM   #2
Ted J

The only thing you'll gain by doing that is maybe a little bit of head room because the active x-over should only give the amp certain frequencies. You'd also gain more adjustment in regards to tweeter level control compared to that of the midrange driver if it's needed. Sometimes adding things and making more factors involved can make tuning just that much more fun though!

Otherwise you are not going to go any louder really. The passive crossover on the components will present the amp with a 4 ohm load and if you put the tweeter on one channel and the midrange driver on the other channel they will both give the amp a 4 ohm load so that's why I'm saying you won't go really any louder but you will use twice the power.

Passive crossovers are neat in how they work. If done correctly they take two 4 ohm speakers and still allow the amp to be presented with a 4 ohm load.

HTH!

Ted

PS - Does your amp have crossover frequenices to mate to your components? You'll need something in the 3.5Khz type range.
Old 04-14-2003, 09:55 AM   #3
Ted J

Quote:
Originally posted by billy**:

If this sounds stupid as hell, tell me wat else i should try.

Thanks
Something you could try is bridging the amp so you in the end are putting out twice as much power. (that is if your amp is bridgeable)

Make the 4 channel amp into a 2 channel amp after bridging it down. You'll gain more headroom but be careful to not push the components to hard when doing this since they would be getting like 160 watts a channel if I read your first post correctly. Just an option for you to think about if it's doable.

[ April 14, 2003, 09:56 AM: Message edited by: Ted Jacobson ]
Old 04-14-2003, 08:01 PM   #4
internecine

yea it is definately bridgeable, i guess ill go and do that.

Im not really interested in making it play all that much louder as i want the damn tweeters to sound better.

Old 04-14-2003, 10:11 PM   #5
cassetti

Well what are the tweeters?

Do NOT bridge the amp if you're tweets are sounding bad...... first thing i would do, is look at how you installed the crossovers.

Did you do it the proper way, and put the crossovers next to the amp, and run 2 seperate pairs of speaker wire per side to the front.... or did you run up 2 pair, and then connected to the xover under the dash..

if you did the latter, chances are you had a lower quality set of components, and you are/were picking up massive engine noise on the components, and it may have fryed the tweeters.

If you want to try something, i'd say turn you're car to the accessory mode, turn off subs (they would drain the battery too fast! lol) and turn on you're components, turn up the volume, and then mess around with the gain settings on the amplifier, there's also a chance you're amp is picking up noise before amplifiying the sound, therefore when the car is on, and the gains are set high enough, it will amplify noticably the engine noise....

But yeah, tell us what kind of components you got, so we can see if they really are 90w rms or pyramid 90w rms (theres a huge differance! lol)

Old 04-15-2003, 04:52 AM   #6
internecine

the tweeters are part of the Kicker RS5 component set, the tweeters themselves are model R25 seen midway down the page at this link
kicker resolution series
They are installed the proper way, cable connecting the amp to the crossovers is no more than 8 inches.

And what you said to try i will do tomorrow as its gotten a little late.

Once again i cant thank you enough for helping out a newbie like me.

Old 04-16-2003, 10:11 PM   #7
cassetti

Lol, billy ~ all i've got to say is thank yourself for finding this forum ~ you couldn't have found a better place to learn the ropes ~ i know many awsome guys on this forum has helped me many times (and saved me a ton of money also! lol) ~ don't be afraid to ask questions, there's always someone ready to help! [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]