CARSOUND.COM Forum
Old 05-25-2005, 09:48 PM   #1
chvybuff

Angry

i recently got a regular cab chevy truck and want to get some bass in it. i have an old old spark-o-matic bass cannon laying around so i thought just to start for now i would put it in. i lost the wiring diagram for it though so i dont know how to hook up the switch for it. if anyone knows how to hook it up or where to find it please let me know.
Old 05-26-2005, 08:51 AM   #2
Ian P

I friend of mine in high school bought 6 of those from wal-mart and put them in the trunk of a Sentra. He would buy one each time he got paid. Holy crap that thing was loud! It rattle like hell, and sounded like mud, but it was louder than anything.

You could try bypassing the switch and hook it up like a normal amplifier. I don't know why those even came with a switch. Do they have a "gain" knob?
MB Quart QSC216
Rockford Fosgate PL1-210 (2 10" subs)
Ian P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2005, 06:33 PM   #3
chvybuff

i was thinking of maybe doing that but then i dont know which wire is the ignition wire to shut it off when the truck is off. on the bass cannon itself it does have a gain knob.

the head unit is from my 1400 watt taurus sho but i sold it and kept the head unit. it does have preouts for bass, front, and rear. would there be anyway of connecting the speaker wires on the bass cannon into those for the best quality? otherwise i would have to hook into the stock speakers.
Old 06-06-2010, 02:47 AM   #4
jpc

I have one of these bass canons, myself.

Red is 12v positive; black is negative.

The 2 green wires connect to the left and right negative speaker terminals - it doesn't matter which goes where. Bass isn't directional. However, the speaker wires are undersized. You should replace them w/ 18ga copper speaker wire.
jpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 08:32 PM   #5
jpc

I just refurbished one of these canons which I've had for @ 20yrs. and installed it in my new(2009) car. They are simply amazing! The speaker has a paper cone w/ a foam surround. It should have disintigrated by now, but there's not one sign of deterioration. Sparkomatic acquired Altec Lansing in the mid-80's and this tube was built @ 1990. I'm sure there's a connection.

I found it very worthwhile to replace the stock speaker wires. The 18ga wire improved the performance dramatically.

Last edited by Norm : 06-16-2010 at 07:45 AM.
Old 06-07-2010, 07:42 AM   #6
Norm
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpc View Post
Sparkomatic acquired Altec Lansing in the mid-80's and this tube was built @ 1990.
Sparkomatic purchased some trademarks in 2000 but not the company. The company was dissolved by Telex in 1998. The company (or a new form of it) came back in 2002 and has been changed multiple times since then.

"Will I respect the winner in the battle for my mind?" - Cy Curnin

USE YOUR ASHTRAY NOT YOUR WINDOW! DONT BE A LAZY SLOB LITTERBUG!
Norm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 05:38 PM   #7
Homer

This thread showed up top of the results for a Google search for "how to wire a Sparkomatic bass cannon". A mate gave me one of these a couple of weeks ago to fit to my track car so that I can have a bit of removable audio whilst travelling long distances to the track, unfortunately it didn't come with any instructions so I had to do some searching! Really useful to know about connecting the two wires to the negatives for the rear speakers. I've wired the live through a relay, switched by the acc. wire from my head unit.

One question about the speaker wiring though, will it matter if I connect it to the negatives of the rear speakers even if there's no rear speakers fitted in the car, or will I have to wire it to the negatives of the front speakers?

Last edited by Norm : 06-16-2010 at 07:47 AM.
Homer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 06:06 PM   #8
jpc

If you mean that you intend to wire the sub as the rear speakers, I think that'd work. Connect it to the rear speaker neg outputs at the head unit.
Old 06-10-2010, 07:55 AM   #9
Norm
Super Moderator

Yes, that would work. You can take the negatives from the front or rear channels. By taking only a negative line of the Left and right channel you are getting a mono full range signal that is then filtered by the bass cannon's internal crossover to give you the bass.

I have already apologized for my sarcasm but I will do so again. I am sorry if my sarcasm was missed and rubbed anybody the wrong way. It has been removed in the spirit of moving forward.

We welcome helpful posts always!

"Will I respect the winner in the battle for my mind?" - Cy Curnin

USE YOUR ASHTRAY NOT YOUR WINDOW! DONT BE A LAZY SLOB LITTERBUG!

Last edited by Norm : 06-16-2010 at 07:48 AM.
Norm is offline   Reply With Quote