CARSOUND.COM Forum

Go Back   CARSOUND.COM Forum > Archived Forums > Richard Clark on Audio archives
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-14-2001, 06:38 PM   #1
fester49

Question

I kinda know how to do this...can anyone help give me some insight just to make sure I'm right???
thanks

Old 05-14-2001, 07:38 PM   #2
ma_tt316

Exclamation

It is possible to run 4 speakers off a 2 channel amp. The best way to do so is wire the 4 speakers in parallel. 4 8 ohm speakers will give the amp a 2 ohm load and 4 4 ohm speakers will give the amp a 1 ohm load if done correctly. What amp do you have a what are the speakers? Most good amps do very well at 2 ohms so you need 4 8 ohm speakers.

Matt

Old 05-14-2001, 08:29 PM   #3
fester49

the amp is a Alpine MRV-T707 and I want to hook it up to 4 alpine 5 1/4" speakers. I thought you could hook up the rears to channel 1 and fronts to channel 2...correct?

Old 05-14-2001, 08:30 PM   #4
Jim85IROC

It depends on what type of speakers. If they're subwoofers, what was said above is pretty much correct, although you can do a series-parallel configuration to result in a single 4 ohm load for 4 ohm speakers.

If they are coaxial or other full-range speakers that you intend to run in stereo, you can parallel the two left speakers and parallel the two right speakers.

------------------
_ ___________________ _
85 IROC-Z 355 cubic inch
88 Trans Am GTA 305 5 speed
86 Camaro Sport Coupe
"Sure you could buy a practical car, but then you would have to drive it"

Old 05-14-2001, 10:59 PM   #5
fester49

Question

So just run the left side on channel 1 and right side on channel 2. Sounds pretty easy. Now what about high pass/low pass filter, should I turn one of them off or what do I need to do???

Old 05-15-2001, 08:23 AM   #6
Jim85IROC

It depends on what sound you want from your speakers! If you don't have a sub, then you should run them without a filter. If you have a sub, then run them with the high-pass engaged. If you run them full range, you may want to run a passive filter (Capacitor) on the front speakers if they're significantly smaller than the rear speakers.

------------------
_ ___________________ _
85 IROC-Z 355 cubic inch
88 Trans Am GTA 305 5 speed
86 Camaro Sport Coupe
"Sure you could buy a practical car, but then you would have to drive it"

Old 05-15-2001, 09:52 PM   #7
courtland

I have a 2 channel amp running all four of my mids too, heres how I did it. The hardest part is finding the resistor. Just wire them in parallel, and then run a 2 ohm, hi-wattage resistor in series with the rear speakers, this will make them quieter, so that the rear-fill is more accurate. Also, as far as crossovers are concerned, I have my amp running an HP70Hz to both, the fronts are components, and the rear are coaxil that I've clipped the tweeter leads on. This way they don't produce those high frequencies (The woofer of the coax is allowed to roll-off naturally). Hope this helps and good luck.