CARSOUND.COM Forum

Go Back   CARSOUND.COM Forum > Archived Forums > Richard Clark on Audio archives
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-17-2001, 10:33 PM   #1
dug

Could someone explain to me the differences between the two and the advantages of each over the other.

thanks
doug

Old 03-17-2001, 10:53 PM   #2
Richard Clark

there are two different types of regulation in amp power supplies and one type in the amp itself-----in the power supply there is input regulation and output regulation-----and there is degree of regulaton----input regulation means that the supply is designed to operate over a certain range of supply voltage---for example 10 volts to 16 volts----this means that the amp should perform well no matter what the supply is----now the degree of regulation determines just how good the amp stays within spec throughout that range----some amps are very tightly regulated and some are not at all and loose power at the lower voltages---as far as input regulation i would opt for good regulation-------power supply output regulation refers to the ability of the amp to maintain its rail voltages at a fixed voltage as the amp is called on to change from no load to full load----this factor determines more than any other thing the dynamic ability of the amp----if the supply is tightly regulated the amp will have the same continuous power as peak transient power----if it is loosly regulated the amp will have the ability to produce undistorted musical peaks much higher than its continuous rating----- for this spec i would always choose the least regulation if the continuous power was the same between two amps-----the problem is most people don't know the difference between the two and seldom is it specified------there is a third kind of regulation-----this is output signal regulation and it indicates the ability of the amp to maintain a constant output regardless of load------this spec determines damping factor------as long as this spec is 30 or higher it is more than adequate.......

by the way---there are no totally unregulated amps in either of the three catagories if the amps have switching supplies (meaning over 50 watts per channel)--some amps are just more tightly regulated in some areas than others--- an unregulated amp would never work in a car at all

[This message has been edited by Richard Clark (edited 03-17-2001).]
Old 03-17-2001, 11:10 PM   #3
dug

Thanks for the very detailed explanation, it was extremely helpful...

Are there any specific brands of amp that are known for having tightly regulated input?

I always read about people trying to raise the voltage in their cars, why not just buy a tightly regulated amp and not have to bother with that hassle. I think getting rid of the work of trying to raise voltage would be worth the loss of the increased power output. Plus, you would always know exactly how much power you were dealing with in regards to output.

Am i thinking on the right path with this, or do i have it all confused?

thanks
doug

Old 03-18-2001, 11:40 PM   #4
Richard Clark

doug---in all truth the regulation thing is in many cases a game of specmanship----in some cases all it takes is to spec your amp conseratively so you claim no more power than it can do at say 11 volts----if it will do X watts at 11v it will surely do X watts at 15 volts---that is not to mean that it might not do more at 15 than it is specified at------i have seen a lot of amps that were claimed to be tightly regulated that could do their specified power at low supply voltage yet still they did more with higher voltages----- personally i would not be too concerned about this spec---as long as the amp performed good at least at the lowest voltage i could anticipate i would consider it----on the other hand it never hurts to have a good stable supply of healthy voltage for any system..........RC
Old 06-11-2001, 01:31 AM   #5
Fresheee

let's take for example my alpine mrv-t757. it's rated at 400w rms and 750w max (EIAJ). both specs are bridged 4 ohms at 14.4v. furthermore it's rated at 300w rms at 12v and double it's power then the impedance is halved. finally it works on 11-16v. does this mean:
a) power supply input is un/loosely-regulated (more power at 14.4 than 12v)
b) power supply output is un/loosely-regulated (400w rms - 750w peak)
c) output signal is tightly regulated (power doubles when impedance drops

am i right/wrong?

Old 06-11-2001, 01:38 AM   #6
Richard Clark

no---it is not safe to draw that conclusion--yu do not have enough data to determine the factors i have explained---when i mean peak i mean RMS but for a short time---eiaj peak is not an RMS value---