CARSOUND.COM Forum

Go Back   CARSOUND.COM Forum > Archived Forums > Richard Clark on Audio archives
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-07-2000, 08:01 PM   #1
Californiaguy

I am new to all this, but I do know this much..for my music enjoyment, I like a system that delivers a "tight" sound. So, when selecting a Sub for my system, I decided I wanted "accuracy" if that makes any sense. I dont want a sloppy boom that often comes from a low rider. I want my rock to "hit" in perfect tune with the mids and deliver a great show!

So my question is....What difference does the size of my Sub make? Is a 12" more accurate than a 15", or is that just what I have heard? OR..Is it all in the installation, AMP, etc?

Thanx for your input!

------------------
Californiaguy

Old 07-07-2000, 11:35 PM   #2
Richard Clark

90% of it is in the total system design and this includes the box---if any woofer was fast it could also be a mid or tweet--
Old 07-08-2000, 01:36 AM   #3
The Buzz

I agree. Its many times more in the application than the woofer. Many boom cars use mis tuned Prefab bandpasses and too-small ported boxes or whatever was the spiff special at best buy. I contend you can take a 15" or 18" and make it sound every bit as good/fast as a smaller sub with the right box. A larger sub has more mass to control, which would appear bad, BUT it has to move much less to have the same output as a smaller driver at a given frequency. IMO the people that say large woofers can't sound clean and tight have some things to learn..
Old 07-08-2000, 02:18 AM   #4
HIPHI

THATS ALL GOOD, BUT WHY NOT DO SEVERAL 8S OR 10S IN A NORMAL SEALED BOX, RATHER THAN HAVE TO MAKE A BIGGER WOOFER PERFORM LIKE MANY SMALLER WOOFERS? ESPECIALLY WHEN SPACE IS AN ISSUE....

Old 07-08-2000, 02:36 AM   #5
Californiaguy

I guess Richard's point is that any sub can be made to sound "tight" It all depends on how you hook it up, as well as the condition of the rest of the system, and it's performance as a whole.

I was just curiouse about what was best for a clean sound, and now I know. I got a 12" JL Audio Sub, in a custom sealed box for my 99 Silverado extended cab. Again, I was just curiouse which way to go to get the cleanest sound, I am really new to attaining a balanced system, all prior to this were...ummm yucky.

Thanx, I really appreciate the knowledge!

------------------
Californiaguy

Old 07-08-2000, 03:28 AM   #6
mrflamboyant

i think adding multiple smaller woofers might not be as effective as 1 larger woofer, if well incorporated into your system. the only reason i say that, is because with 1 larger woofer, it will not have to work nearly as hard to produce a wider range of frequencies than multiple smaller subs. especially when it comes to low frequency extension, and overall "flatness" of frequency response.

just my opinion though.

good luck.

Old 07-08-2000, 09:25 PM   #7
The Buzz

I was going to agree.. HIPHI, I was not saying that you make large woofers sound like small woofers any more than you would make small woofers perform like large woofers. Large woofers are not inherently worse than small woofers. ANY woofer can sound good, you just have to put it in the right box, which a surprisingly large number of people seem to have a problem with. I like the "more bass with less woofers approach" myself, but that is just a matter of personal preference.
Old 07-08-2000, 09:56 PM   #8
BlackHole328is

The "tightness" does not come from the sub-frequencies, it comes from the upper midbass freq's.

Old 07-08-2000, 10:42 PM   #9
HIPHI

I TOO, HAVE ONLY ONE 10" I JUST HAD TO COMMENT ON THE BIG/SMALL THING.....

Old 07-09-2000, 12:47 AM   #10
kicker139db

I think you can get that from a big sub. Cause you figure a 15 has a bigger motor to control its cone movement. Now if it had the motor of let's say a 12 its would be sloppy. I think to get the most out of any sub you have to have the power for it. just cause it says 500 max don't mean a 500 watt amp will do. I mean it will but still if you have more power then you have more head room and then you have a better sounding sub! And Thats What I Think!!!!