CARSOUND.COM Forum
Old 12-14-2003, 01:59 PM   #1
muhammad

Hey I would like to know if anyone can tell me does flip up screen monitors make good compition head units and if so what are going to be some of the best quality flip up screen head units for competion. If flipups are not good for comp then let me know what non flip up head units are going to be the best quality. Right now I have a Alpine 7998 and was thinking of upgrading to the Alpine IVA-D900. Need some help please. [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

Old 12-15-2003, 06:16 PM   #2
grocerygetter

Alpine F1 status if you're ballin.
I have a Alpine 7949 that in my opinion sounds better than any Alpine deck out now except for the F1 deck.

Active with USACi on and off since '97
USACi \'04 SQ Adv Cons 0-600 World Champion and Adv Cons Best of Show
USACi '05, '06 World Finals SQ Judge

2001 Acura 3.2TL (SOLD)
2003 Accord & 87 Buick GN
"Music is the arithmetic of sounds as optics is the geometry of light." -Claude Debussy
Old 12-15-2003, 09:37 PM   #3
Collynolds65442

Quote:
Originally posted by beetleman.7:
Hey I would like to know if anyone can tell me does flip up screen monitors make good compition head units and if so what are going to be some of the best quality flip up screen head units for competion. If flipups are not good for comp then let me know what non flip up head units are going to be the best quality. Right now I have a Alpine 7998 and was thinking of upgrading to the Alpine IVA-D900. Need some help please. [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
If you are using an outboard processor for eq and x-over...the 900 is a great choice. The 7998 and the 900 would sound identical in most respects, but the 7998 has tons more processing power. If used solely as a source unit, either are great choices. They both have about the same number of moving parts(faces...screens...etc.) so the reliablilty would be about the same. If you plan on using the PXA-H700, then definately get the IVA-D900.

Old 12-16-2003, 04:37 PM   #4
muhammad

I aint ballin enough to get that F1 not yet. But Collyn I think I remember you. where you at this past USACi regionals. If so I am the one that had the Silver VW Beetle and I asked you if I could see some of the features of your 7998 and H700. I brought my other friend over who was interested in getting the F1 set up.
But right now I did the 7998 and the H700 and Im in the process of wiring it up. If you guys know of a better sounding head unit than the 7998 then let me know. [img]graemlins/wave.gif[/img]

Old 12-17-2003, 11:00 PM   #5
smakdwn

Do you guys Hear that much of a difference just in a HU? If so you guys have the best ears in the world.

Old 12-18-2003, 11:02 AM   #6
off n public

Just make sure it has a high voltage pre out. My Eclipse has no bells or whistles but it has a 16 volt ballanced out put.
Old 12-18-2003, 01:02 PM   #7
Jakezor

I'd say Pioneer DEX-P9 & DEQ-P9 but Collyn might not like it.

Old 12-18-2003, 08:14 PM   #8
smakdwn

Quote:
Originally posted by off n public:
Just make sure it has a high voltage pre out. My Eclipse has no bells or whistles but it has a 16 volt ballanced out put.
and what does 16 volts give you? It really has nothing to do with the over all sound quality of the system

Old 12-19-2003, 12:08 AM   #9
chrisst@webtv.net

I agree with you on the 7949. I also think that it is WAY cleaner than any of the current Alpine indash units, (except the F#1) I have to of these decks and will never part with them!

Old 12-20-2003, 05:29 PM   #10
jhanson

yeah you could do what nick does!!! run a pioneer combo and then hook up any of their screens into the input of the radio. so the screen is just an basically an aux source. but still youre still looking at least a couple grand for a used p9 combo and screen.
josh