CARSOUND.COM Forum
Old 06-26-2003, 02:15 PM   #1
soundquality

Does anyone have any experience installing Jacob's Accuvolts? I am contemplating whether or not to purchase one, and my research has brought about several questions that I hope someone is able to answer.

Ohm's law tells me that Voltage, Current, and Resistance are related to one another - if I am increasing my voltage with the Accuvolt, what do I need to do or have to compensate for this increase? Am I going to need additional stored power?

Also, the instructions for the Accuvolt tell me to run individual power and ground wires from the battery to the Accuvolt - now, from what I understand, this is a "no-no" for noise reasons - what should I do?

Is there any place in the vehicle that I should or shouldn't install the Accuvolt relative to my amps, security systems, capacitors, speakers, etc.?

Thanks.

Old 06-26-2003, 06:13 PM   #2
lakersfan1

Wiring a ground back to the battery is more of a no-no because normally you mount an amp in the trunk, and long grounds are a no-no. You want your grounds to be as short as possible. Normally you would mount an Accuvolt in the engine bay, though, so it'd just be easier go ground it right to the batter ysince it's right there. It has a remote sensing wire you can hook up at the amp hook-up site so it knows how much voltage loss you are getting at the end of the wire run so it can compensate.

When you bump the voltage, then the Accuvolt will draw more amperage.

And if you're going to use an Accuvolt, you don't need capacitors. The Accuvolt has capacitance and voltage regulation built in, not to mention whatever capacitance your amp has built in.

[ June 26, 2003, 06:14 PM: Message edited by: lakersfan1 ]

Old 06-30-2003, 11:52 PM   #3
SQRULZ

Thumbs up

The Jacobs Accuvolt does not need a ground run from the battery to the unit. Just a regular chassis ground. You don't have to worry about noise because the Accuvolt will buffer your stereo gear from the auto electrical system. I've been running one for years and have never had a noise problem. Keith
Keith Doney Pro street 601+<br />2002 Iasca World Champion<br />2002 SSR 1st Place<br />2003 SBN17 1st place<br />2003 SVRIII 1st place<br />2004 SLAP National Champion<br />2005 SBN19 1st Place<br />2005 SLAP National Champion<br />Team DLS<br />Pioneer ODR\'s<br />IXOS wires <br />Dynamat
Old 07-01-2003, 07:08 PM   #4
zuki

where can they purchased

i tried summit
Old 07-01-2003, 07:34 PM   #5
lakersfan1

Quote:
Originally posted by zuki:
where can they purchased

i tried summit
I'm pretty sure you can buy them straight though Jacobs Electronics.

Old 07-01-2003, 09:29 PM   #6
zuki

http://www.jacobselectronics.com/support/dealerinfo.htm
Old 07-06-2003, 02:51 AM   #7
James R. Vogt

Hi Bart - Years ago, when these units were still fairly 'unknown', I was going to be a distributor. After learning a bit about the units, I came to realize that the major benefit was for off-road enthusiasts who needed a hotter line to their lighting system. If your Electrical system is doing what it should, this unit is probably not necessary. The power it pulls still has to come from somewhere, right?

... Another good use for these is in pure class A systems where you can greatly benefit from higher voltage while the engine is off... Again, you would need ample storage capacity (battery); not to mention a LARGE accuvolt, since these style of amps have a huge amount of headroom.