PDA

View Full Version : 1990-1992 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham id install?

CincyR/T
03-10-2003, 10:24 PM
I'm purchasing a1991 Fleetwood Brougham tomorrow and have never had the pleasure of doing a deck install on one. From what I remember hearing from other fellow installers they are a pain in the arse. These have the double din radio with the tuner pack buried in the dash right? Anyway..any tips tricks would be appreciated..as of now it has an AM/FM Tape deck...can't be having that smile.gif

the fat kid
03-10-2003, 11:00 PM
I did a head unit on my fiance's '89 Grand Prix that had that set up. The radio was just a display and the brain was actually stashed elsewhere in the car. I know it is not a Caddy but the install wasn't bad to do, it just looked terrible. The aftermarket radio stuck way out, so if you want it to look good you will most likly have to modify the dash behind the radio.

extreme1
03-10-2003, 11:26 PM
tuner pack is buried in the trunk graemlins/freak.gif

it's on the passenger side behind the carpet.

SoundQ1z24
03-11-2003, 01:06 AM
Trunk is where the brain is at. You will have to run all the wires back to there or rewire the whole thing. You will also need to extend the antenna as well.

Chris Luongo
03-11-2003, 09:46 AM
Congratulations on a fine car! I've had four different Cadillacs in that body style. '91-92 is a good year...even the base engine got fuel injection for '91, and if you have the 350, all the better. I like the digital gauges and the new style of wood too. The only downside is the door-mounted seatbelts; if you have the seat far back, the belts are too far forward to reach your chest.

Anyway, I never knew the tuner pack was in the trunk; I always figured it would've been under the dash like in a GM pickup...unless Extreme and Soundq are mistakenly thinking of the Eldorado/Seville? The Brougham's antenna is on the front fender, and the underdash area should have enough extra room for a tuner pack---I'd be surprised to hear GM would move the tuner all the way to the trunk for just the last three model years of this car.

But in any event, it's not too hard to get a standard GM harness adapter and extend all the wires to the front.

Also, some of those cars did come with a combination CD and cassette player. It also included a pair of door-mounted speakers. Here's a link to one being sold on eBay right now, although the auction will probably be over by the time you read it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2405725344&category=6774 (1992 CADILLAC AM/FM CASSETTE CD E/Q RADIO )

extreme1
03-11-2003, 11:15 AM
the one I did was a fleetwood being used for a taxi, and the antenna was on the passenger rear quarter panel. don't recall the exact year though.

CincyR/T
03-11-2003, 04:54 PM
I think the Fleetwood you guys are referring to is the Fleetwood Brougham from 1993-1996...the one I purchased is a 1991 which is the same body style since 1980 essentially. Just got home with the car and I love it. White...5.7l...Factory sunroof....white leather interior that looks new. I paid quite a premium for this car..but oh is it cherry...I'll try to post pics soon. I wish it had a factory CD or at least a aux input ...don't really wanna pull the factory or try to get an aftermarket in there...it would just take away from the beuty of the car.

Jason Ewing
03-12-2003, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by CincyR/T:
I think the Fleetwood you guys are referring to is the Fleetwood Brougham from 1993-1996...the one I purchased is a 1991 which is the same body style since 1980 essentially. Just got home with the car and I love it. White...5.7l...Factory sunroof....white leather interior that looks new. I paid quite a premium for this car..but oh is it cherry...I'll try to post pics soon. I wish it had a factory CD or at least a aux input ...don't really wanna pull the factory or try to get an aftermarket in there...it would just take away from the beuty of the car. wait---let me get this straight----you dont want an aftermarket head????? are you feeling ok??? have you been fiberglassing in a closed room again?? :D man, i didnt even wait till my car was off the dealer lot and i yanked mine out tongue.gif

Stanmobile
03-12-2003, 07:34 PM
I agree with Jason, Too many fumes can be the only explanation for Cincy’s making this type of statement. That stereo is leftover 80 technologies. As far as the car I always can admire a clean older car BUT Not older crappy GM radios. Cincy please get some fresh air. I would love to see some pictures. I think you be best described AS “pimping”? In you new ride. Enjoy

;)

[ March 12, 2003, 06:35 PM: Message edited by: Stanmobile ]

Chris Luongo
03-12-2003, 08:23 PM
If I ever see an aftermarket radio that has a display that can be seen in daylight, and controls that are safe to use while driving, maybe I'll consider it.

Cincy, I stopped in at the shop yesterday, and to my surprise, there was a '90-92 Brougham in the bay for a radio. It was apart, so I checked it out for you.

The brain must be up front, because I saw the installer had wired up a standard '88-up-style GM harness, and it was plugged right into factory wiring behind the dash.

They were chasing all over town trying to find a dash kit, and I don't think they were successful. I pointed out that if they filed the opening a little wider, they could slide the mounting sleeve right in. And then for the bottom part, they could glue a sheet of plastic from behind. But of course I think it would look better if you could flush-mount it from behind.

Also, the dash panel itself looked easy to remove. Two screws at the bottom, clips at the top.

CincyR/T
03-12-2003, 08:30 PM
Man thats weird Chris that there happened to be one in your bay...in 5 years of installing I've never done one for a headunit. Yeah, the deck comes out easily enough...two screws at the bottom and then the panel comes off. I pulled one of the vents looking for a hidden screw (like the 1980-1989's) but there weren't any. The tuner pack is up front...its buried between the speedo cluster and the left vent next to the radio. I picked up a American International GMk420 and am gonna try experimenting with this kit. I've had good luck with it in Devilles and Eldorados with the double din setup. Still gotta pick a deck out though...kinda leaning towards an Alpine CDA-9805. I would love to put something like the McIntosh MX406 in there but money doesn't allow.
CincyR/T

Stanmobile
03-13-2003, 07:55 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Chris Luongo:
[QB] If I ever see an aftermarket radio that has a display that can be seen in daylight, and controls that are safe to use while driving, maybe I'll consider it.

Take a look @ an Eclipse CD5442 or higher in the line (in person) they us a High-Visibility VF Display just like your precious factory radio's.

graemlins/wave.gif

CincyR/T
03-24-2003, 02:05 AM
Decided to leave the factory radio in there for now. I did win a JVC KDLX3150 the other day at a sales/installation meeting..so I might throw it in there for shats and giggles. Oh and I do have pics up now. http://members.cardomain.com/cincycaddy

eubanks
03-26-2003, 05:07 PM
Or how about a Mc headunit to retain old-skool look?

CincyR/T
06-15-2003, 06:20 PM
http://images.cardomain.com/member_img_a/325000-325999/325010_20_full.jpg http://images.cardomain.com/member_img_a/325000-325999/325010_21_full.jpg http://images.cardomain.com/member_img_a/325000-325999/325010_22_full.jpg
A few of the pics of the deck I ended up putting in. JVC KDLH3150 ----Won it in a contest at work. Install was a pain getting to the factory Amp/tuner. Overall it turned out to not look to bad..plus w/ the JVC deck I was able to match the color display to the factory climate/speedo displays almost perfectly.